We at APNSC strongly believe that each and everyone with their diverse abilities and characteristics is a valued member of the society and can contribute to it. We want to change the current situation in Georgia, where still to date most of people with intellectual disabilities live in exclusion, poverty and away from the public eyes.
A bilities P articipation N eeds S upport C reativity
Our mission is to introduce and spread awareness about social therapy in Georgia in order to allow adults with impaired physical or mental development to live a dignified life and be socially integrated. At the basis of our therapy work is the method developed by Dr. Rudolf Steiner, the founder of the famous Waldorf school.
● Unity program: maintain working groups which contribute to the support of young people and adults with impaired development and provide social integration by engaging them in artistic and cultural activities.
● Capacity building program: educate specialists, who will have the ability to communicate and work according to the social-therapeutic approach with adults
with special needs.
● Public relations program: promoting and creating the environment in which people with special needs are able to live a life of dignity and be socially integrated.
1990 – created a daycare home for 60 beneficiaries with creative workshops. Started to provide support and advice to the people working with people with disabilities.
2000 – created the Public Relations program to publish periodicals, information materials about social care in general and the regular cultural events of our daycare home (open days, exhibitions, fairs, concerts, performances and other) to involve the general public and network with government and non government organisations.
2001 – started to provide a basic educational course on social therapy. Duration – 18 months.
The main results of the work of the Association (1990 – 2017):
● With our Unity Program, we have formed and developed a new type of social, therapeutic work communities, established and improved their working method and style.
● In our workshops we prepare products that have received user approval.
● Our beneficiaries feel useful to other people. The climate in their families has improved. Their everyday lives are productive and meaningful.
● Their family members and acquaintances have lifted the negative attitude towards people with disabilities and can openly discuss the topic.
● As part of our Capacity Building Program, we have trained people to become professional staff of therapy centres. 56 people have undergone our course on social therapy and many of them work in the field now.