Social therapy is a professional discipline developed by Rudolf Steiner (1861-1925), the founder of the Waldorf school. At the heart of the concept is the idea that a healthy social environment is essential for adults with developmental disabilities to live productive, independent, and joyful lives. A healthy social environment is cultivated through community where all members make a contribution according to their ability. The training in social therapy provides practical, emotional, psychological and spiritual tools and insights necessary for living and working with developmentally disabled adults.
The social therapy method:
● group work and cooperation
● a person’s physical, mental and spiritual development
● creation of high-quality products and the realisation of creative potential
● positive reinforcement
● individual approach
The goals of social therapy:
● developed social skills and social integration
● developed labour skills and creativity
● improved physical and mental state
● improved living standards of people with special needs
● overcoming of the stigma of the general public towards people with special needs
● improved lives of family members
● integration of young and elderly people into social care communities by means of volunteering
Courses by APNSC
APNSC in partnership with the Free Waldorf School and Kindergarten in Tbilisi are admitting students for the following courses:
“Basic Course on Social Therapy and Pedagogy”
The course aims to raise social therapists that are able to communicate and work with young people and adults with special needs in household and working environments. We also train teachers, parents and future parents.
Duration: 3 years
The first two years are dedicated to different learning styles and the general introductory course into social therapy. The third year focuses on pre-school and school age specialization in the field of pedagogy. The course includes the theoretical, practical and artistic courses in the daycare home, the garden and the Free Waldorf School.
During the course the following topics will be taught:
● people as both physical and spiritual creatures
● a human an an emerging creature, its birth and death
● human development, seven-year phases, the age crisis.
● awareness kits
● figurative and conceptual awareness
● the development of a child’s mental functions
● temperament and its role in raising children
● delay in development and its forms
● society as an organism
● elements of organization and its development phases
● social conflicts and social sensitivity
● social integration and the rights of people with developmental delays
● pedagogy and social therapy history
● the specifics of education in the pre-school age (the role of games in the development of a child)
Artistic activities include:
● felt and soft dolls manufacturing
After completing the course, students will be given certificates and an opportunity to take the best internship at a German social-therapeutic or teaching facility.
Course beginning: September each year
Necessary conditions: The course participants age – less than 21 years old.
Applicants are selected through an interview process.
During the interview there will be an opportunity to get acquainted with the organizers and get detailed information about the course.
It is necessary to bring an identity card and a short biography (CV) to the interview.